Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snow day!

Just for future reflection purposes, I had to write a post about our Snow Day.
 Gavin is now 4 and hasn't really seen snow - he was too little when we lived in the Kootenays and in Langley, we have only seen a couple inches fall then melt away.
  A half hour after announcing our outing, I had 2 boys in snowsuits, a bottle prepped, dog on leash and strapped Evan into his Snugli atop my own jacket.
As soon as we stepped outside, the dog resisted, begging to go back in. He is a chi-pom and not fond of anything but warm sun. Gavin looked up at me and asked "Mommy, what do I do?" I suggested a walk as I'd like us all to burn some calories.  The driveway had a slope to it and the further up we got, the further down went the moods. Evan was fussing over his cold face so I scrunched him in as much as possible and gave him the gumdrop. Gavin slipped on some ice, started fussing and insisted I hold his hand. The dog still resisted.  Ten feet beyond the drive Gavin was done with trying to walk in boots on the snow, he had a slight bit of a meltdown. I picked him up and turned around. The hundred or so steps to the walk were difficult - baby in snugli, carrying a 4 year old and dragging the poor dog by the leash. Good thing a neighbour was on her porch or a smoke, or I wouldn't have had an audience; I think the bottle got lost somewhere along the way...

3 comments:

  1. Oh the joys of babies and dogs! You sound like it actually went better than expected - babies could have had a temper tantrum and the dog could have been down the street!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I found it hilarious! After all the hype and excitement over it and the dog begging to go out - we step outside and they all change their minds. Gavin is getting into it once he discovered what he can do with snow.

    ReplyDelete